Friday, December 1, 2017

Prayers of the faithful and readings - Funeral of Jevin Albert Davis - St Jude Catholic Church - Pearl Mississippi - December 2 2017

A reading from the book of Revelation: 
      I, John, saw a new heaven and a new earth. The former heaven and the former earth had passed away.  
       I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  
       I heard a loud voice coming from the throne saying, “Behold, God’s dwelling is with the human race.  He will dwell with them and they will be his people and God himself will always be with them as their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain, for the old order has passed away.” 
         The one who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give a gift from the spring of life giving water.   The victor will inherit these gifts, and I shall be his God and he will be my son.”  
The Word of the Lord




RESPONSE: The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose. Beside restful waters he leads me.
He refreshes my soul. He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake.

RESPONSE: The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.

Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil;
For you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage.

RESPONSE: The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.

You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

RESPONSE: The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.

Only goodness & kindness will follow me all the days of my life.
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come.

RESPONSE: The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want.


The word of the Lord.
A reading from the letter of St Paul to the Romans: 
Brothers and sisters: If God is for us, who can be against us?
He did not spare his own Son
     but handed him over for us all,
     will he not also give us everything else along with him?
Who will bring a charge against God's chosen ones?
It is God who acquits us.
Who will condemn?
It is Christ Jesus who died, rather, was raised,
     who also is at the right hand of God,
     who indeed intercedes for us.
What will separate us from the love of Christ?
Will anguish, or distress or persecution, or famine,
     or nakedness, or peril, or the sword?
No, in all these things, we conquer overwhelmingly
     through him who loved us.
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life,
     nor angels, nor principalities,
     nor present things, nor future things,
     nor powers, nor height, nor depth,
     nor any other creature will be able to separate us
     from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.



The word of the Lord.
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew
At that time Jesus answered:
"I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
     for although you have hidden these things
     from the wise and the learned
     you have revealed them to the childlike.
Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
All things have been handed over to me by my Father.
No one knows the Son except the Father,
     and no one knows the Father except the Son
     and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him."
"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
     and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
     for I am meek and humble of heart;
     and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."
The Gospel of the Lord.


Prayers of the Faithful 

Priest:  My brothers and sisters, Christ is risen from the dead and is seated at the right hand of the Father, when he intercedes for us.  In confidence, we now join our prayers to his.  The response to each prayer will be: Lord hear our prayer.  

1. In baptism, Jevin. was given the pledge of eternal life. May he now be admitted to the company of the saints. We pray to the Lord.  

2. For Jevin’s family and friends, that in these difficult days they may be sustained by their faith, and by the knowledge that they will be reunited with Jevin one day in God’s heavenly Kingdom. We pray to the Lord. 

3. The gift of life, which we all share, is very precious. Lord, make us
more aware of the gifts and talents you have given us, particularly those that we so often take for granted. May we use them to make the world a better place. We pray to the Lord.  

4. Many friends and members of our families have gone before us and
await the Kingdom. Grant them an everlasting home with your Son.  We pray to the Lord. 

5. Many people die by violence, war, and famine each day.  Show you mercy to those who suffer so unjustly there sins against your love.  Gather them to the eternal kingdom of peace.  Lord, hear us - Eternal life shine upon him.  


Priest: Lord God, giver of peace and healer of souls, hear the prayers of our Redeemer and the voices of your people.  Grant all those who sleep in Christ a place in your kingdom.  We ask this through Christ our Lord.  AMEN.  

No comments:

Post a Comment