Friday, December 22, 2017

Book Review - Flambards by K M Peyton

I remember back in high school, watching a mini series on PBS produced in England entitled Flambards.  It was based by a trilogy of books written for young adults (before that genre of fiction became so popular) written by the British author K M Peyton.  It was a wonderful series that enchanted me.  Over the years, I have read each of those three books at least once.  I have decided that I would like to read them again.  The novels start in the year 1908 on a big country estate in England.  Christina, an orphan, is sent to live with the Russell family - her uncle and his two sons.  Mark, the oldest son, is enamored with fox hunting, a relic of an England that is passing away.  The younger son, William, possessed with a very curious intellect, becomes involved with the new field of aviation.  Christina is pulled between these two world, between the old traditions of the past and the new scientific and technological advances that promise a new world.  It is a delightful read, tackling topics our society still struggles with today.  Having read the first book,  Flambards, I am now starting the second in the trilogy, The Edge of the Cloud.  

1 comment:

  1. Father, I enjoyed your reviews of the Flambards trilogy, as I am a huge fan of these books. Did you ever get to the fourth book, which is quite controversial? I recently finished an online degree at Southern Miss, and came down for the graduation but did not make it to Jackson, only to Hattiesburg and Selma. I wish my father were alive to talk to you about the Catholic Church in Mississippi in the 60s, some of which is mentioned in his book, Count Them One By One.

    ReplyDelete