Monday, August 14, 2017

St Maximilian Kolbe - Pray for Us - feast day of August 14

I found this prayer asking for the intercessions of Saint Maximilian Kolbe in A Book on the Saints by Anne Gordon.  I think it really captures the essence of this remarkable saint whose feast day we celebrate today - August 14.   St Maximilian Kolbe (1894 - 1941) died on this day, August 14, in the Auschwitz concentration camp.  He was a Franciscan priest from Poland whom Pope John Paul II canonized in 1984.  

Through your life and work you proved that nothing is more precious than our essential humanity.  I pray that you will stand by me and give me the courage to act everyday with the sense of fairness, compassion and respect for all living things that your exemplified.  You have shown that great faith may call for noble and heroic action.  If I am to be true to myself, Saint Kolbe, I pray that you will stand with me also in my most difficult hours.  Be a reminder to me that I must have the courage of my convictions.  Help me to imbue my every action with meaning and to have the courage to find the greater meaning and purpose to which I seek to dedicate my life.  

Quote from St Maximilian Kolbe - 

"Let us remember that love lives through sacrifice and is nourished by giving.  Without sacrifice, there is no love."

No comments:

Post a Comment