Monday, August 21, 2017

Lincoln A Dall (1866 - 1890)



Growing up, I was teased a lot because my name "Lincoln" was not very common.  As an adult, I appreciate my name very much and its history in my family.  My Great Great Grandfather David Dall immigrated to the United States from Scotland.  He was from a small town named Newburgh on the coast of Fife in Scotland.  He and his family were sea people, captains and sailors on ships.  He immigrated to Chicago where they remained in the same profession on the Great Lakes.  One of his sons was my Great Grandfather, John Dall.  David Dall's youngest son was named Lincoln, named after President Abraham Lincoln.  There are many other members of my ancestral tree with the first or middle name of Lincoln.  My dad insisted that his first born son have that name.  The first Lincoln Dall was born in 1866 and died at the age of 24.  I don't know a lot of details about him and don't know how he died.  This is a photo of him that I have in the living room of my rectory.  One day, I hope to be buried next to him at my family's cemetery plot in Rose Hill Cemetery in Chicago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment