Tuesday, August 20, 2013

8/25/2013 – 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time – Isaiah 66:18-21, Luke 13:22-30

    Last Sunday, we had a very challenging Gospel, as we heard Jesus declare that his radical Gospel message would bring about division, not peace.  Today, I was hoping for a Gospel that was a bit easier to tackle, but our message today is also very challenging and difficult to discern.  We are given a lot of themes and images in Jesus’ message this morning: the narrow gate through which we enter eternal life, the question of who will be saved, and the predicament of who will be first and who will be last in God’s kingdom.
      As we think about the image of a narrow gate, we might think about the difficult passageways we have to get through in life, both in a literal and in a metaphorical sense.  When I thought about this reading, I thought not about a narrow gate, but rather a narrow bridge.   As a missionary, traveling to the different villages in the jungle could be daunting.  I remember the first village I visited with the priest away from our mission site.  We traveled 4 hours in a canoe, then several more hours on horseback through the rain forest before we reached the village.  When we arrived there, we had to cross a bridge to enter into the village.  And by bridge, it was nothing more large log stretched across a ravine.  That’s a bridge – you’ve got to be kidding me, I thought.  The villagers were running across the log with great agility.  However, I looked at the priest and said:  Oh no.  I am not going across that log.  He told me that there was no other way to go across. I got up on the log and eased my way across with the speed of inch worm.  I got to the center of the log and looked down; I froze, convinced that I was going fall, and in the process breaking my neck or some other body part.  I looked across the log and saw a little old indigenous man – he was probably about 4’10” tall, very weather-beaten for his harsh life in the jungle. He looked at me and saw the fear in my eyes.  Before I knew what was going on, he had run across the log, picked me up and had brought me across safely.  In my shock, I was able to thank him.
     The trouble was, as I was going across the log, I panicked.  I didn’t have confidence I would make it.  I didn’t have faith.  To go through the narrow gate that Jesus is talking about, we have to rely on our faith, and on the grace of God to get us through.  Really knowing Jesus and having a relationship with him, relying on our faith through the ups and downs of life, and growing up on our spiritual journey – those are all things that will help us get through that narrow gate. 
      Our reading from Isaiah also gives us greater insight into the salvation that God offers to humanity and the way we can enter through the gate Jesus is talking about. The people of Israel had seen themselves as God’s chosen people, yet they were forced into exile and taken away from their promised land.  Isaiah helps them understand that their time in exile spread their faith to other lands and to the farthest ends of the earth.  People of different races and different nations learned about God in this way.  The people of Israel brought them to God as an offering on his holy mountain.  This message offered by Isaiah of God’s invitation to all to his kingdom was perhaps surprising to the people of ancient Israel.   Perhaps we’re surprised at who is welcomed into God’s kingdom as well based upon our preconceived ideas about our faith.  Perhaps the ones we thought would be last will indeed be the first to come to his kingdom; maybe we need to remember that there are different ways God calls us to live out our Catholic faith and that our way is not the only way. 
      We hear a lot of people in our society today say that anything goes – any lifestyle, any path, any belief system – that any of these things will lead to salvation.  That is not what Jesus is saying in today’s Gospel.  God is looking for a commitment; he is looking for us to travel down the road of faith with him.  And we cannot trick ourselves or trick God that there is another way.  There is a story about the first Czar of Russian, Ivan IV, often referred to as Ivan the Terrible.  Even though under his guidance Russia was transformed from a small kingdom to a mighty empire, Ivan was well-known for his cruelty – he even killed his own son, the heir to the throne of Russia, in a fit of anger and rage.   At the end of his life, as an old man, Ivan was afraid to face God and to be judged for all the terrible things he did during his life. Ivan shaved his head and dressed for burial in the robes of a Russian monk, hoping that God would think him to be a true monk and a religious man of God, and would thus allow him into heaven.  We might think this story to be ridiculous, but it is no different from the way some people in our world today try to disguise who they really are, thinking that God and everyone else will think that they are different from their true selves.
      Maybe the goal of this talk about salvation and narrow gates and who will be first in the Kingdom of Heaven is to get us to think about how seriously we commit ourselves to our journey of faith, about how seriously we are willing to reach out to others on this journey and to contribute to the life of our parish.   Do we see ourselves as disciples of Christ who infuse God’s love into our world and who proclaim God’s kingdom to our brothers & sisters?  Or do we leave that work to others?    Are we willing to go through this narrow gate even on our earthly journey, to enter the gate of faith that God has brought into our world?

No comments:

Post a Comment