Sunday, February 25, 2024

5 March 2024 - St Kieran of Saighir - Tuesday of the third week of Lent - Matthew 18:21-35 - Psalm 25

On March 17, we celebrate the famous St Patrick.  But I found another Irish saint whom we celebrate today on March 5 - St Kieran of Saighir. Like a lot of saints from the early centuries of the Church, a lot we know about St Kieran has been passed down in legend.  He was born in the fourth or fifth century. Legend says that as an adult he wanted to learn more about God, so he traveled to Rome, where he studied, was baptized, and became a priest. He was ordained a bishop either in Rome or in Ireland. Kieran is known as one of the apostles of Ireland who helped grow and develop the faith there. Like Francis of Assisi, he is known for his love of animals, so he is often pictured with a badger, a deer, and a fox. It is said that he spent time living in a cave where he befriended and cared for sick or hurt animals. Another legend tells of St. Patrick giving St Kieran a bell that rang for the first time when he reached the site of a holy well in Saighir, and there he built his church. This became renowned as a sacred place, and many ancient kings are buried there. He built a monastery in Kilkenny, where the ruins of the original church, the monastery, the well, and other holy sites related to St. Kieran can be found.  

The psalmist today asks the Lord to remember his mercies.  We often want God’s mercy when it applies directly to us.  But, then, sometimes, we don’t necessarily want God’s mercy for others.  Sometimes, in those situations, we are a bit more strict in our interpretation of what God’s mercy is all about, which is the point of the Gospel today. I found the following prayer written by a Jesuit priest, based upon the Anima Christi, a prayer made famous by Ignatian spirituality.  I thought it was very appropriate to today’s readings: 


Soul of Christ:

Jesus, may you flow into me. 

May your body and blood  

be my food and my drink. 


May your passion and death 

be my strength and life. 


Jesus, with you by my side 

enough has been given. 


May the shelter I seek 

be the shadow of your cross. 


Let me not run from the love 

which you offer. 


But hold me safe from the forces of evil. 

On each of my dyings 

shed your light and your love. 


Keep calling me until the day comes, 

when with your saints, 

I will praise you forever. 

Amen. 


By David L Fleming, SJ 

Adapted from ANIMA CHRISTI


No comments:

Post a Comment