Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Bulletin Reflection - Feast of the Epiphany - 7 January 2024

I have always loved the story of the three Magi.  As a child, they really appealed to my imagination.  In seminary, in the course on the synoptic Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, I wrote my major paper on the Magi.  When I went to Spain on the pilgrimage, hiking the pilgrimage trail with a backpack on my back and staying in hostels, I reflected upon the way that the Magi were on pilgrimage to visit the baby Jesus and the Holy Family in the same way I was on pilgrimage to visit the tomb of St James in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Like the Magi being guided by the star to greet and give honor to Jesus, I was guided by the yellow arrows that were painted all along the pilgrimage trail to guide the pilgrims.  And while the Magi gave the Christ child precious gifts, I did not have such treasures to give, but I was able to give St James my prayers and my blessings as I arrived at his Cathedral.  I carried St James in my heart the way the Magi carried Jesus in their hearts. As we celebrate the feast of the Epiphany today, let us honor Jesus and the Holy Family just as they did.  Blessings to all of you - Father Lincoln. 

No comments:

Post a Comment