Monday, June 17, 2019

Bulletin reflection for the weekend of June 25 and 26 2019 - leaving for Spain for the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola

      After the masses this weekend, I will start my journey to the village of Loyola in the Basque country in Northeastern Spain.  I will be traveling the the sanctuary of Loyola, the place where St Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits, grew up and had his conversion experience, a journey that led him to the priesthood and the founding of a religious order named the Society of Jesus, more commonly known as the Jesuits.  While Ignatius was on his quest for spiritual renewal in the early 16th century, he wrote the spiritual exercises, which is now a classical work of Catholic spirituality and discernment.  These spiritual exercises are a compilation of meditations, prayers, and contemplative practices to help people deepen their relationship with God and hear the will of God for them in their lives.  I have always wanted to experience these spiritual exercises; now I have this wonderful opportunity.  I will pray for all of you here at St Jude as I go to pray on this retreat for 30 days in this very intentional way. 
       It is amazing how the Holy Spirit works in our lives.  Most of you know that I have had a very intense year.  Until recently, I had been working as the interim Director of Finance for the Diocese since October. Then, when I return from Spain, I will serve as Vicar General for the Diocese and will continue to serve as Pastor here at St Jude.  In addition, right before I start my retreat, I am just finishing up 30 credit hours of a master’s degree in church administration and management, a very intense amount of classes to take within the course of a year.  These weeks of spiritual exercises in the country of Spain, a place that I love very much, will be a good time for prayer and renewal for me before I start this new chapter in my priesthood here in Diocese of Jackson.  While I am gone, you will be in the hands of some wonderful priests who will be filling in for me, including Father Kevin Slattery, Father Tom Lalor, Father Scott Thomas, and Father Antony Chakkalakkal, who is the new chaplain at St Dominic.  Blessings to all of you - you will all be in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment