Sunday, December 10, 2023

Thursday of the second week of Advent - 14 December 2023 - St John of the Cross - Advent reflection

When I returned to the Jackson area in the summer of 2017 as the pastor of St Jude parish in Pearl after spending time up in northeast Mississippi as the pastor of St James parish in Tupelo, I became good friends with the Carmelite sisters. I have really enjoyed my friendship with them as I have gotten to know them better in my role as vicar general and in my frequent celebrations of Mass at their monastery. I have always had a great love for Carmelite spirituality, especially with the spirituality of St Teresa of Avila, St Therese of Lisieux, and St John of the Cross. All three of them have been named Doctors of the Church. Several years ago, I became affiliated with the Secular Carmelite group in the Jackson area. As a part of that formation, we study these three Carmelite saints in a very intentional way.

I mention Carmelite spirituality today since it is the feast day of St John of the Cross. Born in 1542, he became a Carmelite priest and a protege of Teresa of Avila in her effort to reform the Carmelite order. A mystic and a poet, his poetry is acclaimed as amongst the greatest in Spanish literature. Unfortunately, as he lived in the era of the counter-reformation and the Spanish Inquisition, his radical mystical visions and his effort to reform his religious order was met with a lot of opposition. Imprisoned several times for this, he died in 1591 while in confinement. Below is a beautiful Advent poem that he wrote. May we honor St John of the Cross today on his feast day and as he accompanies us on our Advent journey. Father Lincoln.



“Advent Poem” By St. John of the Cross


If you want, the Virgin will come walking down the road

pregnant with the Holy and say,

“I need shelter for the night.

Please take me inside your heart, my time is so close.”

Then, under the roof of your soul,

you will witness the sublime intimacy,

the divine, the Christ, taking birth forever,

as she grasps your hand for help,

for each of us is the midwife of God, each of us.

Yes, there, under the dome of your being,

does creation come into existence eternally,

through your womb, dear pilgrim,

the sacred womb of your soul,

as God grasps our arms for help:

for each of us is His beloved servant never far.

If you want, the virgin will come walking down the street,

pregnant with Light, and sing!


No comments:

Post a Comment