Thursday, May 10, 2018

Go Winnipeg Jets!





Although I am a priest in Mississippi, and consider Mississippi to be my beloved adopted home, the two cities that shaped me the most prior to my arrival in Mississippi are the cities of Chicago and Winnipeg.  Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the Chicago Cubs.  I grew up with my extended family very loyal to the Cubs.  From 1992 to 1994, I lived in Winnipeg and served there as a lay missionary.  The city of Winnipeg has a special place in my heart.  The Jets left Winnipeg in 1995.  It was a heartbreaking event for a Canadian city that is so in love with hockey, the national sport.  A new Jets team came to Winnipeg in 2011.  This year, the Jets have advanced to the Western Conference Finals of the Stanley.  In the words of my sister Heather, a very avid hockey fan: this is a very big deal.  She has adopted the Jets, too, this year.  I am so hoping they win this year, which would be the first win for a Canadian team since 1993.  Go Jets!  Go Winnipeg!

No comments:

Post a Comment