Thursday, February 2, 2017

2/3/2016 - Hebrews 13:1-8 - Friday of the 4th week in Ordinary Time -

     Today’s first reading comes from the last chapter of the the letter to the Hebrews. When that letter was entered into the canon of the New Testament, it was purported to have been written by St Paul, but most modern Scripture scholars believe that by the contents of the letter it was written much later than during Paul’s lifetime. The audience to the letter and its author are topics that are still debated today. Nevertheless, our reading today contains a lot of tidbits of wisdom and sage advice. One thing that struck me was its counsel for us to extend hospitality, for through their hospitality, some have unknowingly entertained angels.  There is a famous etching by Rembrandt in the Art Institute of Chicago that is entitled Abraham entertaining the angels, from 1656. In the 18th chapter of Genesis, Abraham invites three weary travelers into his tent where he provides them refreshment and washes their feet.  He even slaughters a fattened calf for them.  They visitors who were treated with such great hospitality and kindness do end up being angels who bring Abraham the good news of Sarah being able to bear him a son. 
   On the pilgrimage of Santiago de Compostela, the Way of St James, we talk about Camino angels, kind pilgrims or townspeople we meet along the way who extend great kindness and hospitality to us pilgrims. When I was on the Camino a few weeks ago, I had problems with my knee, so I had to take a bus on a rest day.  I got on the bus, but they did not tell me that I needed to transfer.  One of the ladies on the bus knew I was a pilgrim, so she tapped me on the shoulder and told me that I needed to get off at this stop to transfer to another bus that was a couple of blocks away.  She helped me with my backpack and made sure I got on the right bus, which was very kind of her.  One of the men who ran a hostel where I stayed one night told me this saying:  While a tourist demands and asks for things, a pilgrim always gives thanks in all things.  Hospitality has always been a characteristic in our Catholic faith.  Jesus was always being invited to meals in homes.  The pilgrimages always welcomed and cared for the pilgrims.  And the monks in the monasteries always welcomed visitors.  May we be the angels that others meet on their journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment