Monday, February 20, 2017

21 February 2017 - Tuesday of the 7th week of Ordinary Time - Sirach 2:1-11

     If you recall, a week ago, we had a reading from the book of Sirach in our Sunday Gospel reading.  This week and next week, we also hear from Sirach in our daily masses.  Sirach is perhaps a book we Catholic are not too familiar with.  However, it contains great wisdom and advice that is still relevant for us today.  With the endearing salutation, “my son" that begins our passage today, we know that Sirach is going to give us some intimate advice. It is also a typical opening in Jewish wisdom literature.  So, what can we take from today’s reading?  Sirach advises us that serving God does not mean that our lives will be without trials and tribulations.  However, we are still called to serve with sincerity, generosity, and perseverance. Our trials and tribulations will help purify our faith.  In everything, we are called to be faithful and to trust in God.  Today’s reading brought to my mind a post that I recently made to the pilgrims’ forum.  A pilgrim wrote that she had been hiking on the Camino for one week and was wanting to give up and go home.  She asked if any of us pilgrims had felt the same way, wanting to know how with dealt with such feeling.  I wrote the following response: “There were days when I have been discouraged on the Camino too. There have been days when my plans on the Camino were thrown into disarray. When I reflect on the Camino (and I have been on the Camino five different times), it is through the struggles and the unexpected things that have happened to me that I have found the greatest blessings. I was struggling with a lot in my life when I went on the Camino last month. I had a lot of struggles on the Camino as well - I hurt my knee, I was vomiting for several days, and afterwards never got back to a normal routine of eating for the rest of the Camino. However, through those struggles, I received a lot of wisdom and knowledge from the Camino. My Camino really helped me examine my life. It has brought me a lot of peace. Sometimes we don't get the Camino we expect or want; sometimes we get the Camino we need, even if that Camino isn't easy. Ultimately, it is our decision whether to continue on the Camino or not, and I truly believe that there is not a "right" way or "wrong" way to follow the Camino. We are called to follow God’s will for us.  We are called to follow our hearts.  We are called to persevere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment