Wednesday, August 3, 2016

8/4/2016 – Psalm 51 – Thursday of the 18th week in Ordinary Time -


“Create a clean heart in me, O God and put a new and right spirit within me."  I find it really interesting that the psalmist does not say to purify my heart or cleanse my heart, but rather “create” in me a clean heart.  The psalmist emphasizes God’s creative action, the new life and the new creation that we become through God. We always emphasize in our baptismal right that we go into the waters of baptism and die with Christ, and then rise to new life in him.  It is the concept that Evangelical Protestant Christians describe as being born again, although we Catholics do not specifically use those same words.  The psalmist goes on to say – “A steadfast spirit renew within me.” In asking for a new spirit and a new heart, the psalmist asks to renew the presence of both the human and the divine within him, to renew that which is depraved and broken and disordered within him.   May we feel the divine energy of God flowing within us.  May we feel God’s divine energy guiding us and leading us on our journey.  May we feel God’s spirit infusing our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment