Thursday, April 21, 2016

4/22/2016 – Friday of the 4th week of Easter – John 14:1-6

      “Do not let your hearts be troubled.”  Jesus gives us words of comfort today, but when we're going through a difficult time in our lives, these words might not sink in.  I was remembering my mission experiences in Ecuador this past weekend with news of the earthquake that hit that country.  The epicenter was actually not that far from the coastal rainforest region where I served as a missionary there for 3 years.   I was telling Kris and Michelle in the office earlier this week that I felt lucky to have survived a lot of the experiences that I had there. I used to travel from the capital city of Quito to the jungle region on the coast on these rickety buses that would take an entire day of travel.   When I would transport things on them, mostly supplies for the schools and projects that I administered, I would have to sit up on the top of the bus with the goats and the chickens to safeguard everything I was transporting.  One day, when I was trying to get my things down from the top of the bus, I mis-stepped and ended up falling off.  Luckily, my fall was cushioned by my backpack, so I was not hurt or injured at all.  I remember all challenges, struggles, and traumatic experiences that I endured as a missionary, but even in the midst of those experiences, I had a peace in my heart that God gave me.  We are not promised that our lives will be easy or without challenges.  Jesus is there with us every step of the way.  With that assurance, may our hearts not be troubled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment