Thursday, September 3, 2015

Rest in Peace - Lila Spannenberg Dall - August 25, 1926 - September 3, 2015

Lila Spannenberg Dall
Born - Chicago, Illinois - Aug 25, 1926
Entered eternal life - Santa Ana, California - Sept 3, 1991 

Today is the 24th anniversary of my mom passing away.  I remember sitting by her bedside with my sister Heather.  We were both so exhausted and had fallen asleep in the middle of the night while holding her hands - that is when she passed away.  Her oldest and youngest children at her side. 

My mom was born in the Logan Square neighborhood in Chicago, born to parents who came from German immigrant families.  Their first language was German, even though both her parents were born in Chicago.  Her dad was a night watchman at the downtown Sears in Chicago.  Her mom was a seamstress.  I remember her love of music and love of reading.  She introduced me to books like Winnie the Pooh, The Scarlet Letter, The Catcher in the Rye, and The Good Earth.  Many of those books I read were her personal copies.  While in the hospital, I remember a non-stop stream of her friends and fellow choir members - all such wonderful people.  Rest in peace, mom.  You are remembered fondly and you are still loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment