Sunday, August 24, 2014

8/24/2014 - This is what I wish today in place of a homily -

     There were a lot of things swirling around in my head as I thought about the Gospel today.  Indeed, who do I say Jesus is?  How do I proclaim this in my words, and more importantly, in my actions?  When confronted with adversity and strife, I want to reach out not in anger or sarcasm or passive aggressive behavior, but I want to reach out in love and peace.  And so, what I wish from all my heart today for me and my parish is this – the peace prayer of St Francis of Assisi.  This says it all for me:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment