Tuesday, August 19, 2014

8/19/2014 – Tuesday of 20th week in Ordinary Time – Matthew 19:23-30

     Where do we find our riches here on earth?  How do we use our treasures We heard these themes addressed in the Gospel yesterday when the rich young man asked Jesus what good he should do in order to gain eternal life.  Then, today, we hear Jesus tell us that a camel could enter the eye of a needle much easier than a rich man can enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
      You know, in our Catholic faith, we have those who have been gone through the canonization process and who are official saints in our Church’s liturgical calendar, but we also have members of the community of saints who have not gone through that process, but are still strong examples of faith for us.   Jessica Powers, known with the religious name of Sister Miriam of the Holy Spirit, grew up in rural Wisconsin in the early 1900s and became a Carmelite sister.  She died on August 18, 1988.  I became aware of Jessica Powers and her poetry through a presentation at my seminary given by Bishop Robert Morneau of the Diocese of Green Bay.  She did not enter the Carmelite monastery in Milwaukee until she was 36 years old.   With over 300 published poems and more than 100 that were unpublished during her lifetime, she has touched many lives and has been recognized for the themes of discontent, spiritual longing, contemplation, mysticism, and an exploration of the human condition.  Her poetry and her devotion of living the life of a Carmelite nun in service to God have spoken as to where she put her treasures.  I want to end this homily with one of her poems -

Creature of God

That God stands tall, incomprehensible,
infinite and immutable and free
I know. Yet more I marvel as His call
trickles and thunders down through space to me.

that from His far eternities He shouts
to me, one small inconsequence of day.
I kneel down in the vastness of His love,
cover myself with creaturehood and pray.

God likes me covered with my creaturehood
and with my limits spread across His face
He likes to see me lifting to his eyes
even the wretchedness that dropped his grace.

I make no guess what greatness took me in.
I only know, and relish it as good,
that I am gathered more to God's embrace
the more I greet him to through my creaturehood.



No comments:

Post a Comment