Monday, December 12, 2016

Examination of Conscience from the remarks of Pope Francis to Vatican Employees - 2014

EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE:

Back in December 2014, right before Christmas, Pope Francis met with the behind-the-scenes Vatican employees.  After thanking them for their dedication, he encouraged them to examine areas of their lives. The following words are adapted from his remarks.

Do I care for my spiritual life and my relationship with God?
1. Am I a Christian who is not nourished by prayer and the sacraments?
2. Do I study the Word of God?

Do I give care for my family life?
1. Do I give my family time, attention, and love?
2. Do I care for their daily needs?

Do I heal the wounds of the heart with the oil of forgiveness?
1.  Have I forgiven others who have hurt me?
2.  Have I said “I’m sorry” to those whom I have hurt and have I tried to make amends?

Do I watch how I speak?
1. Do I need to purify my everyday language from offensive words, vulgarities, and phrases used in the worldly decadence?
2. Do I gossip about others or tell false truths?

Do I care for my work?
1. Do I work with enthusiasm and passion?
2. Am I humble enough to thank the Lord for my accomplishments?
3. Do I use my God-given skills and talents in the service of others?

Do I avoid envy, lust, hatred, and negative feelings?
1.  Are my thoughts and actions destructive toward my relationships, especially with
those whom I love?
2.  Do my thoughts destroy my inner peace?
3.  Do I say insulting things when it would be better to remain silent?
4. Do I surround myself with angry or destructive people?

Do I reach out to those who need me, for this is how I will be judged. 
1.  Do I assist the weak, the elderly, the sick?
2.  Do I stand up for foreigners or for those who are oppressed?
3.  Do I feed the hungry and shelter the homeless?

Can I let go of:
1.  “The bitterness that brings us to revenge”
2.  “The laziness that leads to existential euthanasia”
3. “The finger-pointing that leads to pride”

4.  “The complaining that leads to despair”

No comments:

Post a Comment