Monday, November 28, 2016

11/28/2016 - Monday of the first week of Advent - Matthew 8:5-11

     Right before we receive communion during mass we profess the following: “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof;  only say the word and my soul will be healed.”  I remember when this wording came in the new translation of the mass back in Advent of 2011, with this wording seeming a little strange compared to what we previously stated.  However, it has become commonplace and habit for us to say these words in the mass, hasn’t it?  I always think of the centurion in today’s Gospel when I say those words, of how he was pleading with Jesus to have his servant healed. I love Jesus’ reaction to the centurion’s pleading.  Rather than being disturbed or perturbed, Jesus is amazed, he says that nowhere in Israel has he seen such faith. It is as if Jesus has just witnessed a miraculous event - what a delightful reaction. This pagan, this non-Jew, sees Jesus for who he is.  May we have that same sense of awe and wonder when the Lord is born in our world and in our hearts at Christmastime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment