Thursday, September 29, 2016

Reflection on St Jerome - Doctor of the Church - memorial - September 30

In 1298, the first four Doctors of the Church were named. Throughout the centuries, there are still only 36 Doctors of Church, showing how careful and select the Church is in bestowing this title.  The first four Doctors were St Jerome, St Gregory the Great, St Ambrose, and St Augustine.  I remember St Jerome in a special way, as in my second year in seminary, in August of 2005, I sprained my ankle very badly the first day of classes.  I used crutches for six weeks.  It was on the feast day of St Jerome that I was able to stop using the crutches.  My advisor at the time told me that I should attribute my healing to St Jerome.  My history professor in seminary was also a great fan of St Jerome, of his Latin translation of the Bible, of his substantial writings and Scripture commentaries of his that we still have today.  The Early Church fathers inspire me in the priesthood, especially on those days that are challenging, where I really need some inspiration and encouragement.  Ever the scholar, this is quote great quote from Jerome: "When we pray we speak to God; but when we read, God speaks to us."  I unite my prayers with the intercessions of St Jerome today, asking for faith and understanding on my journey.  Let us all pray through through our faith, we may grow in our understanding, and through out understanding, may we grow in our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment