Tuesday, May 10, 2016

5/11/2016 – Wednesday of the 7th week of Easter – Acts 20:28-38

     We are getting close to the end of the Easter season.  And today we hear a continuation of Paul’s speech to the people of Ephesus, as he is getting ready to go back to Jerusalem where he knows he will face a lot of trials and struggles.  He informs the community leaders in Ephesus that they, too, will face a lot of opposition in their ministry.  In fact, Paul specifically says that he knows that after his departure, “savage wolves will come among you, and they will not spare the flock.”  Paul’s farewell is very emotional.  He and the members of the community are weeping and hugging each other.  They know that they will not see each other again.  I had mentioned to you all that it was back in May 1996 – twenty years ago this month – that I first arrived in Ecuador as a missionary. I can remember those first days in the capital city of Quito, the sights and sounds and smells of South America that I was experiencing for the first time.  At the end of my three years there, the village where I had spent a lot of time that was located deep in the jungle had a going away party for me.  Like in Paul’s farewell, it was very emotional for me.   I remember one of the elders of the community saying that what he would remember most about me was that in the midst of my struggles and my challenges, I always persevered and never gave up.  They said sometimes when I was suffering from Dengue fever or malaria or a tropical fever, when I would be walking around the village in the middle of the rain forest shivering in a wool blanket because I was so sick, I was still there teaching and running my projects.  The elder said that there were days that they thought I was not long for this world, yet I never gave up.   Yes, my heart is definitely with Paul and the missionaries of our faith.  We thank you Paul for you passion and enthusiasm for bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world, even in the midst of struggle and strife. 

1 comment:

  1. I think to some extent that my sadness at leaving the Little Sisters'residents on Monday morning is deepened by the unspoken knowledge that this might be the last time I serve some of the residents. I smile and hug them and tell them that they all stay in my prayers, and silently I pray that I will see them on the next visit. At least my pain of leaving is tempered with the hope and joy of returning! Thank you for your tireless perseverance, Father Lincoln!

    ReplyDelete