Friday, April 17, 2015

Rest in peace, Cardinal Francis George


With gratitude in my heart, this is my prayer:  Rest in Peace Cardinal Francis George. Cardinal George was a great leader of our American Catholic Church and of the Archdiocese of Chicago. He was a great spokesperson for the Gospel of Life and for religious freedom. His voice will be greatly missed. Current Archbishop Cupich of Chicago announced today: "A man of peace, tenacity and courage has been called home to the Lord." Go in peace, Cardinal George - our prayers are with you.  You have been a great example of faith for us.  As a fellow native Chicagoan, I thank you for your leadership of one of the great Catholic cities of the world. 


A great quote from Cardinal George, one that has been quoted to me by some of my Protestant minister friends who saw the quote as very profound and prophetic in light of the attacks on religious liberty and on Christians in recent years in our country: "I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."

No comments:

Post a Comment