Wednesday, September 19, 2012

9/26/2012 – Wednesday of the 25th week of ordinary time – Proverbs 30:5-9; Luke 9:1-6


       The writer of our passage from the book of Proverbs tells the Lord that he wants neither poverty or riches, that he only asks that the Lord provide him with the food that he needs each day.  Then, we hear about Jesus sending out his disciples on their journey as missionaries to the world.  He tells them travel lightly, to take not a sack, or food, or money, or an extra tunic – they will find their needs fulfilled as they go on their journey.
         This message is so much different from what our culture tells us – we need that new car or new piece of technology or whatever is new on the market.  The cell phone we bought just a year or two ago is now out of day – we've got to have the new one.  It is so easy for us to forget that the things of this world are just temporary compared to what really matters.  We need to constantly ask ourselves: how are we striving toward those values & those things in life that are part of God's eternal kingdom? 
         The spirit of today's readings is reflected in a prayer written by St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits, back in the 16th century.  I have told you about this prayer before, but it deserves repeating again: “Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. You have given all to me. To you, O Lord, I return it. All is yours; dispose of it wholly according to your will. Give me your love and you grace, for this is sufficient for me.” 
         May we rely on the Lord for our needs, for our daily bread.  May the things of this world not keep us from God's heavenly kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment