Thursday, August 25, 2011

8/28/2011 – Homily for the 22nd Sunday of ordinary time - Cycle A – Psalm 63:2-9; Jeremiah 20:7-9

          My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.   You are whom I seek.  My soul clings to you, your right hand upholds me.  What our psalmist expresses today is what most of us want to proclaim as followers of Christ.  We want to find our joy in our relationship with the Lord, a joy that surpasses all else in our lives.  We want to feel God’s love and mercy in the deepest recesses of our hearts.  Yet there are times in life when these sentiments feel so distant, when we wonder where God is.  When we struggle, when we don’t have the answers to our questions, we have to trust our faith, to trust the call we’ve received from God.
         Here in Mississippi, we’ve had hurricanes, and tornadoes, and the flooding of the Mississippi River.  We’ve had many people here in Yazoo City and in our own parishes whose lives were forever changed by the floods and tornados that struck us with power and violence.  For me, my will was tested in the midst of the El Niño storm system that hit while I was working as a missionary in Ecuador.  I was traveling to our mission site in the jungle after having been in the hospital in the capital city of Quito for the treatment of malaria, pneumonia, and Dengue fever.  I was still very sick and very weak, but I had a day-long bus journey to return to the mission site.  Our bus had only been a half an hour out of the station, we had just left the city and had entered the jungle, when we came to a complete stop.  I looked outside to see nothing but mud; the road had been completely wiped out from the El Niño storm.  Everyone from the bus started getting out, deciding to walk down the mud-filled road in the middle of the jungle as far as possible with the hope that we could continue until we reached our mission site, a 4-hour journey by bus.  We walked for more than an hour, with the mud higher than my knees.  I had my hiking boots tied around my neck by the laces.  Finally, when we came to a clearing in the road, we caught a ride with a road crew on a rickety old truck after begging them for a ride, as I pleaded with them that I was a missionary.  After a while, the road gave out again, and we continued walking through the mud.  I tried to keep up with a group of villagers I knew for the mission site.  At this point the sun had set, and it got dark very quickly.  After walking for more than an hour, fatigue really set in.  Walking in the mud barefoot was starting to get to me.  I slowed down considerably and got separated from the rest of the group.  I fell in the mud and didn’t know if I had the strength to get up.  It was so dark I could barely see anything.  I started to cry, and wondered how I would get out of this predicament.  Finally, I heard the others in the group crying out to me; they realized I had gotten separated.  I found the strength to continue.  Finally, when we got to a stretch of clear road, we found someone in a truck who brought us back home; we arrived the next morning.  I couldn’t believe all that we had been through.
         Our faith calls out to us at all times, not just when everything is going great.  Let’s look at Jeremiah, how he was called to be God’s prophet at a time when Israel was straying from its covenant with God and getting into ill-advised alliances with the nations around them.  This all ended with the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem and with the exile of many of its citizens to Babylon. From the beginning, Jeremiah did not want to be a prophet.  Yet, he agreed to go where God called him, but then saw the people and the leaders turn against him when he had to deliver God’s very harsh prophecies to them in this turbulent era, messages that were very hard to hear because they were so truthful.  Jeremiah cries out to God in the midst of his pain and anger: You tricked me! You seduced me!  You lured me into a situation where I am now despised by everyone, even my family and friends. 
Who did Jeremiah blame for his misery?  He put the blame on God.  Jeremiah even wished he was never born.  Yet, we all need to understand, no matter who we are, we are going to have our ups and downs, our joys and struggles, in our journey through life.  Even though Jeremiah lashed out at God, later on, just a few verses after today’s reading ends, he is able to say to God: You know, God, you are at my side like a mighty hero.  With you beside me, my opponents will stumble, they will be vanquished, they will be confounded with their failure.  Jeremiah is able to say: Lord, I sing praises to you, for you have delivered the soul of one in need from the clutches of the evil doers. 
There will be times in our lives when we lose sight of our calling, when all seems to be a struggle or a failure, when we question our faith.  And we will need to be honest with ourselves and with God, taking our anger, our struggles, and our despair to him, working through those emotions and the situations that confront us in life. 
When we begin using the new translation of the mass on November 27th, the priest will greet the people as always: “The Lord be with you.”  And you, the people will respond: “And with your spirit.”  The Lord is always with us, he is touching our spirit, even in those times when we feel abandoned or angry or when we’ve had enough and can’t take it any more. 
Jeremiah’s journey today reminded me about Sister Paulinus’ closing words when she was with us earlier in the week for our grief workshop.   Sister told us that if our prayers just included three things, then we are covering all of our bases with God.  As we go through our day, we cry out to God, “Help me, help me, help me,” for we need the Lord's help in all things.  For the blessings we receive throughout our day, and for those things that may not seem to be blessings, we say to God, “Thank you, thank you, thank you.”  And at the end of the day, for those times we’ve strayed or have given into temptation, we say, “Sorry, sorry, sorry.”  In all things, the Lord is with us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment