Friday, April 25, 2014

4/28/2014 – Monday of 2nd Week of Easter – John 3:1-8

       What struck me about today’s Gospel is how a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews, comes to Jesus in the darkness of the night to ask him questions. It seems like he does not want it known that he is associating himself with Jesus or to have his reputation ruined in that way.  It may be hard for us to witness to the faith, but we are called to do so with courage and conviction.  I think back to when I was living on an island off the coast of West Africa that was mostly Muslim.  In fact,  I was the only practicing Christian living on that entire island.  However, when some of the Muslim elders saw me praying the rosary or reading the Bible, when they saw me trying to live out my faith in the midst of such a strong presence of another religion, they commented as to the great faith they saw in me and the extent of my devotion and conviction.  They publicly commented to those living on the island the respect they had for me for boldly living out my faith.  We don’t have to hide by the cover of night.  We are baptized by water and the Holy Spirit to proclaim God’s kingdom..  Pope Francis calls us to “Go forth” to spread the Good News throughout the land.  Hopefully we have the courage and conviction to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment