Sunday, May 14, 2023

Reflection on prison ministry - Central Mississippi Correctional Institution - 14 May 2023

 Friday evening, during my visit to the Central Mississippi Correctional Facitily, the inmate Eucharistic minister of our community showed me a letter he had received from an inmate from another part of the prison who does not yet have access to our Mass.  This inmate was asking for a Catechism and a pastoral visit if possible.  On the bottom of the note he wrote in big bold letters: ”Communion desperately needed.”  This inmate has no access to the Eucharist at all, something most practicing Catholics take for granted. We went to see him that evening, along with two other inmates.  There were lots of hugs.  I had our inmate Eucharistic minister give them communion.  The inmate who requested our visit also told me he was in a lot of pain and awaiting facial reconstruction surgery.  I gave all three of the inmates the anointing of the sick.  

The next day, Saturday, Bishop Kopacz visited our Catholic community at the state prison in Pearl for the first time to celebrate Mass with us. There were around 45 inmates to greet him.  He confirmed two of the inmates into the Church.  He also gave a blessing to the five inmates who serve in our newly formed pastoral council.  The inmates were so excited, as they had the signed copy of the bi-laws with the signatures of the correctional institution’s administrators - our Catholic community of St Michael the Archangel is now an officially recognized religious community within the correctional system.  This has been the fruit of a lot of dedication, a lot of prayers, and a lot of hard work.  

Prison ministry has been a labor of love of mine ever since my first year as a priest.  Some of the inmates who attend our Mass have known me this entire time.  I am so proud of these men and their journey of faith.  As a Catholic priest in the Diocese of Jackson, the heart of my ministry is at the two parishes where I serve in Raymond and in Clinton, and I absolutely love being a parish priest there in those two parishes.  Yet, the prison ministry, as not only a ministry but as a work of mercy, has had a huge impact on my journey as a priest.  

Not only am I thankful for the inmates and the way they are evangelizing their fellow inmates, how they are so enthusiastic about living out their faith and taking a leadership role, but I am so thankful to the many people who have supported our ministry in so many different ways.   There are many individuals, parishes, Knights of Columbus councils, and parish groups who have supported our prison ministry financially throughout the years, making all this possible. This year alone, I have purchased many used study Bibles, Catechism, YouCats, and rosaries to help the men practice their Catholic faith.  The Catholic Foundation also gave us a grant this year, which has been a gift from God. 

It was a very emotional weekend having Bishop Kopacz visit and celebrate Mass with us, having him meet the inmates who mean so much to me.  St Michael the Archangel, please watch over these men, leading them and guiding them to God’s holy truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment