Thursday, March 9, 2017

Examination of Conscience - from Pope Francis’ Joy of the Gospel

1. Have I hurt others by gossiping?  What needs to change in my behavior and treatment of others?
2 Do I often waste and throw away food?  What does that say to those who are hungry and without food?   And if so, how can I be more careful not to be wasteful?  Do I assist in helping those who are poor?
3. How often do I make others feel appreciated? Do I neglect expressing appreciation and gratitude to others?  Do I make time for others in my day?  Am I generous with my time?
4. Do my possessions or desire for more possessions actually end up possessing me?  Are things more important to me than taking time with others?  Do I place my trust in Christ or in material things?  Can I choose to make more humble purchases?
5.  Do I serve the poor in person or do I think that giving to charity is enough?  Do I judge the poor, or actually try to hear their story?
6. Do I “keep watch over myself” lest I forget that hatred, envy and pride defiles my life and the lives of others?  Can I stop being judgmental?  Do I live my days doing good to others? 
7. Do I befriend those with whom I disagree? Do I reach out to them in Christian charity?  Am I open to dialogue so we can all see that we have something good to give and can receive something good in return?
8. Am I willing to make wholesome commitments in a culture that sees everything as temporary?  Am I capable of responsibility and do I have the courage to be happy rather than negative? 
9. Do I ask the Lord what I am to do and what path I am to follow?  Do I trust the Lord who I claim to follow?  Do I love God? How would God know?  Do I spend enough time in prayer and in growing in my faith? 
10. The true Christian exudes great joy, says Pope Francis in the Joy of the Gospel.  Do I live with joy?   Do I walk and carry joy into my day and the lives of others?  Do I love my neighbor?  How would they know?  

No comments:

Post a Comment